Daylight Savings Time/Eastern Time Zone
For those of you who are traveling to Indianapolis from outside of the state, Indianapolis now observes Daylight Savings Time, and is in the Eastern Time Zone. The Geist Half Marathon start time will remain at 7:00 a.m. EDT
- not be allowed on the course before the official gun start.
- be disqualified for starting early.
- not participate with another participant’s number.
- not exchange (by selling or giving away) their bib number
- not be allowed to move to the Half Marathon if registered for 5K.
- not be allowed to wear headphones.
- obey all directions by course monitors, police and safety personnel.
Unregistered participants, unauthorized vehicles, bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, in-line skates, strollers, baby joggers, walking poles and animals are prohibited along the course. All race regulations comply with liability insurance requirements and ensure your safety and the fairness of the race. For your safety and the safety of others, please allow room for faster individuals to pass you. If you are running or walking with friends, please do not line-up more than two abreast.
Race officials may cancel, delay or change the race to a non-scored event in case of extreme weather or other conditions that may affect the safety and health of the participants. In the event of cancellation, no refunds will be issued.
There is NO parking at the start or finish areas! Arrive early to avoid congestion! Participants may to take the shuttle buses to the start area, but parking and packet pickup are located approximately ONE mile from the start line and we encourage participants to walk or jog to the start for a warm up. If you do plan to take the shuttles, please allow plenty of extra time for parking and transportation to the starting area. Parking is available in the following locations: Hamilton Southeastern High School Student and Athletic Lots. Remember where you park, to ensure you get off the return shuttle at the correct location.
This is a point-to-point course and there is NO parking at the start or finish areas! The primary transportation area is at the Hamilton Southeastern High School at 126th Street and Olio Road. Parking and transportation is available from each of the following locations: Hamilton Southeaster High School Student and Athletic Lots. Buses will leave every 5 minutes from 5:15 a.m. – 7:35 a.m. to the starting area. Parking and packet pickup are located approximately ONE mile from the start line and we encourage participants to walk or jog to the start for a warm up.
** If you are participating in the Half Marathon, you will need to be on a shuttle by 6:35 a.m. or you will not make the start!
** If you are participating in the 5K, you will need to be on a shuttle by 7:05 a.m. or you will not make the start!
** A shuttle will transport participants back to the school from the finish line from 8:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
All participants may check their gear before the start of the race at the Gear Check Area, provided free of charge. Participants can prepackage their gear with the bag you were given at Packet Pickup and seal it with the label available at Gear Check, or a bag may be provided to you on raceday. The Gear Check truck will be located on Olio Road, just north of Lakeridge Drive (see Start Line map for more details). Gear Check at the start line will close down at 6:45 am as the truck needs to leave to get to the finish line. Your gear check bag will be waiting for you in the truck at the finish line in the Rest & Recovery Area. Gear/Clothing Check will be available from 5:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and any unclaimed items will be brought back to the Geist Half Marathon offices. If items are not claimed within 30 days of the event, they will be donated to a charity.
THE ST.VINCENT GEIST HALF MARATHON IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS. DO NOT GIVE YOUR ITEMS TO ANY VOLUNTEER EXCEPT THOSE AT THE GEAR CHECK TRUCKS!
Planet Adventure Race will record your official St.Vincent Geist Half Marathon or 5K time with a disposable timing tag affixed to the back of your bib. At packet pick-up, you will receive your official bib with a disposable tag on the backside. Your time starts when you cross the start line and stops when you cross the finish line. As a result, the tag tabulates your “net time,” the actual time it takes YOU to complete the course.
- DO NOT remove your tag from the back of your bib; NO TAG, NO TIME.
- The “net time” will be used to determine all age category winners.
- You do not need to return the timing tag!
Bib Number Requirements
- DO NOT alter the bib number in any way.
- Securely fasten the bib number to the FRONT of your running outfit with the safety pins enclosed in your packet.
- All bib numbers MUST be visible and worn on the front and outside of clothing at all times during the race.
- Complete the form on the back of your bib, requesting important medical information
If you are WALKING in the St.Vincent Geist Half Marathon or 5K please follow these simple guidelines in order to make your experience more enjoyable.
- Please start in near your projected pace – by doing so you will be walking with others with the same pace as yourself.
- Remember, the IPICO Timing device does NOT start until you go over the starting mats at the start line – therefore you don’t have to worry about how long it takes for you to get the start line once the gun goes off.
- Do not attempt to move up to a faster pace as this will cause problems.
- There is a 16 minute per mile cut-off pace that you will need to maintain during the event. This pace will not start until the last person has crossed the starting mats.
- Please do NOT walk more than two abreast and remember to keep to the right side of the road throughout the course.
FLAG WARNING SYSTEM
There will be a simple flag warning system all along the course to communicate to participants the status of weather-related or course-related conditions. Flags are located at each mile marker along the course.
- Green Flag – Everything is Normal
- Yellow Flag – The heat index is at a point where runners/walkers should slow their pace if they are sensitive to the heat. Participants should be aware of their hydration level.
- Red Flag – Dangerous weather. Participants should slow down and increase their hydration and if they are sensitive to heat or humidity should not run. Timing of the event has stopped and no awards will be given out at this time. Race Photography and Entertainment as stopped.
- Black Flag – Race has been cancelled due to extreme weather or course emergency. Events such as lightning, tornado, or human disaster has or is occurring and all participants need to seek shelter immediately. Participants will be evacuated from the route.